Local media reports that the plotters tried to take control of the main radio and television building in Khartoum.

A Sudanese government official said a coup attempt has been thwarted and situation was “under control”, reported the Sudan News Agency.

Interrogation of suspects involved in the attempted coup was due to begin and the military would issue a statement shortly, spokesman Mohamed al-Faki Suleiman said.

Sudan has been on a fragile path to democratic rule since the military’s ouster of the country’s longtime ruler Omar al-Bashir in April 2019, following four months of mass protests.

The country is now ruled by a joint civilian and military government that faces towering economic and security challenges.

Here are the latest updates:

Lack of leadership, vision

“The question is not why there has been an attempt for a coup, the question is what are these officers trying to achieve,” Waleed Madibo, founder and president of Sudan Policy Forum, told Al Jazeera.

“The legislative body was supposed to be formulated three months after the revolution, now it has been three years and there aren’t any signals that the civilian component of the government is trying to formulate that body,” he added, speaking from Doha, Qatar.

“It seems that there is a total lack of leadership and a total lack of vision that can lead the country out of this quagmire,” said Madibo.

Sudanese protesters gather outside the main entrance to the southern port in Port Sudan [File: Ibrahim Ishaq/AFP]

‘Coup attempt thwarted’, says gov’t official

A coup attempt was foiled in Sudan and the situation is under control, the country’s military said on Tuesday in a statement read on state TV.

“An authorised source in the presidency of the council of ministers said that security and military authorities have thwarted a coup attempt at dawn today,” the Sudan News Agency said via Twitter.

“The situation is under control, and those involved in it [the coup attempt] have been arrested and investigations are underway,” added the statement.

Return to normal

Traffic appeared to be flowing smoothly in central Khartoum, including around army headquarters, where months of mass protests prompted the ousting of veteran president Omar al-Bashir in a palace coup two years ago.

Sudanese security forces did however close the main bridge across the Nile connecting Khartoum to its twin city Omdurman.

Weapons handover

“The army said it was still containing the area where the arms depot is and that some officers were still inside,” said Al Jazeera’s Hiba Morgan reporting from Khartoum.

“They are negotiating to hand over their weapons and come out,” she added.

“They [the army] say that interrogations with the officers they have already arrested will begin shortly but, again, we are waiting for that official statement from the Sovereignty Council and the military,” said Morgan.

‘Many questions remain’

“There are still a lot of questions about which group exactly is behind this and the purpose of the coup,” Al Jazeera’s Hiba Morgan reported from Khartoum.

Morgan said that Khartoum woke up to “what seemed like a pretty normal morning” with the exception that one of the bridges leading to Omdurman, the twin city of the capital, being blocked.

“There were tanks on the bridge preventing civilians from crossing and there were questions from the people as to why there were tanks,” explained Morgan. “Then came the report that there was a failed coup attempt.”

“Who exactly that group is and why exactly they staged a coup, that’s the question we are waiting to hear answers from the Sovereignty Council,” said Morgan.

‘All is under control’, say Sudanese authorities

Sudanese authorities reported that the military remains in control, while Sudan’s state-run television called on the public “to counter” the attempt but did not provide further details.

“All is under control. The revolution is victorious,” Suleiman, a member of the ruling military-civilian council, wrote on Facebook. He also called on the Sudanese to protect the transition.

A military official said an unspecified number of troops from the armoured corps were behind the attempt and that they tried to take over several government institutions but were stopped in their tracks.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to brief the media, said many troops, including high-ranking officers, have been arrested.

Plotters try to control radio, TV building

Asharq News also reported that the plotters “tried to take control of the radio and television building” in Khartoum.

A source told Reuters that the coup attempt included efforts to control Omdurman Radio, which is located on the other side of the city across the Nile from the capital, Khartoum.

Officers take control of armored corps

Military sources told Al-Arabiya that a number of officers, led by Major General Abdel-Baqi Bakrawi, took control of the armoured corps of the Sudanese army.

They added that some pockets in the armoured corps are still being dealt with by the security forces.

Heavy deployment of tanks

According to Al-Arabiya (Arabic), tanks moved from the army’s medical division and closed the road towards the old Omdurman Bridge, near the Sudanese Parliament, amid a heavy deployment of military forces in the area.

Simultaneously, Muhammad al-Faki Suleiman, a member of the Sudanese Sovereignty Council and the official spokesman for the Council, appealed to all Sudanese to defend the country. In a comment on his Facebook account, he said, “Run to defend your country and protect the transition”.

Coup attempt ‘failed’

An attempted coup in Sudan “failed” early on Tuesday, state media reported, without identifying the plotters.

“There has been a failed coup attempt, the people should confront it,” state media reported.

A top government source told AFP news agency the plotters had attempted to take over the state media building but “they failed”.


Follow by Email